To install Sphinx search on Mac, I had to find pieces of information here and there.
Here is my list how to sort it out:
1. Download a fresh stable source from Sphinx website to your /tmp folder. It’s a
2. Go to /tmp folder and run this command to untar the arhieve:
tar -zxvf sphinx-2.0.6-release.tar.gz
Fix the file name since the version can change.
3. Go into the “sphinx-2.0.6-release” folder.
4. Fix this command by my comments below and then run:
./configure --enable-id64 --prefix=/usr/local --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql-5.1.63-osx10.6-x86/ LDFLAGS="-arch i386"
--enable-id64mean you want to support really long integers as document IDs, depends on your application needs
--with-mysql– fix the path to the file
5. Run this command:
Check the response, there must be no errors. Mine ends like this:
...[scary looking C commands]... Making all in test make: Nothing to be done for `all'. Making all in doc All docs are already pre-built by developer. If you want to rebuild them, install docbook-xsl and xsltproc and then run 'make docs' instead of simple 'make'. make: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
6. Run this:
sudo make install
7. Test if all is OK. If you run this, you must get a list of parameters of this tool: